Good news! I'm almost as good as new. The antibiotics are kicking in now. I spent yesterday in the van and then rode today. Today was the first day I've completed since I got sick the day into Amarillo. New Mexico is basically a wash for me.
Thank goodness today was only 70 miles. While I was sick, we climbed to over 7000 ft of elevation and I haven't had any experience dealing with this altitude. Today I felt kind of dizzy and had a lot of trouble breathing while on the hills. My lungs felt as if I had been running outside in January. Despite this I had gone pretty fast most of the day and came in 7th or so of the riders. The bigger problem was around mile 60 my legs just didn't have any energy left to pedal. Being sick weakened me and being unable to eat real food until last night reduced my energy stores. Somehow I got here though and now I can just rest and hit the hay early.
Last night we stayed in Pie Town, NM. We've been talking about this since day 1 of the trip. It's a small town of only 60 people, but there are 2 pie shops. We stayed at this house called the "Toaster house" because there are dead appliances hanging outside of the house. It was cozy to say the least. Despite being a small town, it has an active community council that seems to organize a bunch of events. There was plenty of pie too. I'd been really careful to eat softer foods up to that point but for pie I had to make an exception. It was pretty delicious.
Tonight we're staying in a high school athletic dome that's REALLY NICE. There are enough sinks for everyone! Tomorrow we head to Houck which is on an indian reservation. It should be an interesting experience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment