Weekly recap:
Pittsburgh to Stubuenville, OH: a low 42 miles!
- This was supposed to be an 110 very hilly day to Newcomerstown but the leaders realized that this was a bad idea so they split it up into two days. To make up for it, we had a BIKE and BUILD day in Columbus (more info to come)
- We hit WV along the way (wild and wonderful)-Sang some John Denver
- We had a delicious lunch of SLOPPY JOES once we arrived to the church
- There was corn hole played in the church
- VERY gracious hosts. Dinner crew came in immediately after lunch was over to make us spaghetti and meatballs
- I pushed pretty hard this day and came in around 4? (one of the earlier people). I would have been in earlier but I waited out a rainstorm in the lunch trailer and then I stopped for ice cream and called my grandma.
- WE WERE IN THE CY YOUNG PARADE!! It got pushed back because of the rain but it was still awesome. We took a picture with a state senator and it's supposedly going on his website
- it POURED 2x during the day but I only rode in one storm
- the WIND was TERRIBLE
- Came in around 5 again. I would have been in earlier but I waited out a rainstorm in the lunch trailer and then I stopped for ice cream and called my grandma.
- Showered at Ohio State-was impressed
- Worked with this awesome lady Ashley who graduated from Princeton in 05 and was now a paid employee of Habitat through July 15th-she had a great perspective on life
- Did finishing work with the closet doors...got to use plenty of power tools including a drill, chop saw, circ saw, and sawzall
- On top of building in the morning, we had 60 miles to cover after lunch. The first 30 wasn't too much fun but the last 30 was great. I rode and chatted with Emily and we were going at a good clip.
- Upon arrival, we found out the Y we were going to shower at was closed so people took us to their homes.
- This wonderful man, Jim, took me and three others. We had real towels and wash clothes! He also offered us up all the food in his home. Then his car just randomly drove to a dairy so he bought us ice cream. I went to bed completely content that night.
- Yellow Springs was GORGEOUS. Jim called it paradise. A lady from an affordable housing organization in town came to speak to us. I geeked out over her saying a lot of land was tied up in conservation easements and I actually knew what that meant.
- It was a gorgeous day and ride until after lunch when I just bonked. I hadn't slept well all week and I think I ate too much at lunch so I rode in the van.
- It was an eventful afternoon with 2 crashes (one caused by stupidity). One of our riders had to get stitches but everyone is doing well now. Kyle learned the consequences of slapping Jose.
- The people in Rushville were FANTASTIC. We had a delicious dinner and then a bunch of them got up to make us breakfast. We ate so well!
- Good ride for the most part. Relatively flat til the end.
- I got another flat and had the wrong spare tube but kyle gave me one of his and everything was fine
- At the end of the really tough part was an ice cream place-perfect
- A B&B alum greeted us on the side of the road with a high five and "1/3 of the way there). We later found out who he was when he came and took us to the IU gym to shower.
2 comments:
Hilary- What is corn hole?
I am glad that you are doing so well.
Best regards,
Keith
hey hilary! this is annie (chang)! your blog is interesting. it makes me want to bike... :)
Post a Comment