Wednesday, August 6, 2008

oh wow

So I've still been sick. LOL. I rode into the grand canyon and then threw up around mile 50 yesterday and today I threw up right before I was ready to leave. I'm determined to ride into Vegas tomorrow so that I can ride on the strip.

Enough of the bad news, let's talk about the good.

We went to the Grand Canyon! I rode the entire way in as sweep. I watched the Sunset that night and had a miserable ice cream ordering experience. I was kind of in a bad mood all evening for some reason. The next day was great though. I woke up at 4am to go see the sunrise. It was much better than the sunset and was well worth getting up for. I was definitely a lot more at peace than I have been lately. I then took a long nap and then took the afternoon for myself.

One thing I've realized because of being sick is I need alone time. All trip I've ridden alone on occasion and that has given me a break from being around people. Since I've been sick I'm been missing that and it has made me really cranky on occasion. In the afternoon I ate lunch and took a long walk along the rim, shopping and reading my sports illustrated. I got back to the camp around 5:30. It was really nice to have that time for myself where I could just read and relax. At school/home, TV time has always been how I decompress and relax. As much as I love being around people, I need that time and space. I miss out on some things because of my desire to relax/be alone but I'm glad that I've taken that time to make my trip that much more enjoyable.

I also discovered I actually like camping and would love to do it more.

One other thought I've had is how nice it is to be included in things here. I do go on my own a lot but when I need people they are here for me. I tend to ride with Jo, Lynn, Jess L, Devon, and Emily. When I'm not having a good day they are always there for me 100%. When it comes to room assignments for Vegas and other plans they automatically include me without having to ask and they are understanding when I want to do things on my own. It's really nice to have that because it's been awhile since I've really felt that way. This is a really good trip to have that. So if you all are reading this after the trip, THANKS. I may not show it all the time but I'm grateful for you all. And especially this last couple of weeks, I've needed all the support that you've given me. And it's not just the people listed above that I wanted to thank, it's everyone who has looked out for me and asked me how I'm feeling. I'm happy to report that is the great majority of the trip. I feel 100% a part of the trip and the family that we've created, however dysfunctional we can be at times.

I'm also excited to be going home in 1 1/2 weeks. I've loved this trip and I'm glad I've done it but I am ready to be in California and to be able to say that I completed the cross country trip. I may not have ridden as much as I'd have liked, but I've gotten a lot farther than I would have thought I could and I have still experienced the people/places/things that I wanted to experience. I know that if I wasn't sick I could have completed all the rides (or most of them). I know now that I'm capable of the impossible and I hope I remember this whatever else I do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you're still feeling sick. Almost every time I've had to have really strong antibiotics, I felt like I'd have been better off with the infection. I can't imagine how tough that's been for you while on your trip.

Hang in there. I know you can make it through these next couple of weeks. Do you have a decently long break once you get back before work starts?

~ Jen

eped said...

i'm so sorry you're sick! this is most distressing; i hope you're still enjoying yourself? good luck with the final stretch!

Snippety Gibbet said...

Hi, Hilary......I'm one of your Mom's Jazzercise friends. She told me tonight about your big adventure and I was excited to read your blog. I'm a cyclist and you are living my dream. Well, at least the part where you aren't vomiting. I've enjoyed your writing, and can hardly wait to read the grand finale. Jan from Jazzercise

Lisa said...

Hey, you've almost made it -- what an amazing accomplishment! Way to go! We're going to miss reading your blog. Maybe you can do it again NEXT year:)
Thanks for the Texas post card. We're looking forward to seeing you the weekend of the 23rd. We'll expect to see lots of pictures!

Take care,
Lisa and Tim